Misadventures in Slipcovering

Before I get all into the deliciousness that’s happening on the front porch, I need to give you an update about what’s happening in the living room. So far in this room we have:

Added in some springtime color:

ikea stockholm rug, blue velvet couch, picasso line drawing, silver tray, ikat curtains

Made a little side table “pop:”

matisse, ikea expedit, ikea striped blanket

And given a pair of lamps a fresh new look:

Then given my latest infatuation with white slipcovered furniture, perpetuated by the latest Wisteria catalog (and every interior design magazine I seem to come across), I decided that I needed some of that beachy, breezy gorgeousness in my life.

So I popped onto Overstock.com and ordered two white slipcovers that I thought would be absolutely perfect.

Behold the "Sure Fit Twill Supreme (2 Piece) Chair Slipcover."

Unfortunately, like the star in a lot of doomed relationships, Mr. Slipcover looked a whole lot better on paper than in real life.

Ugh. This looks awful. I clearly have some serious zhuzhing to do.

Pulling and tucking. Pulling and tucking. I feel like I'm describing a boxing match. Bob, weave, pull, tuck.

At this point I had broken out the iron to try to tame some of the more serious wrinkles. And I was delusional to think that maybe it wasn't looking so bad at this point. I actually started composing a post in my mind about how slipcovers are like a relationship, and you have to work on them and not give up.

And here it is after I had gotten it as straight and tucked and wrinkle-free as possible. Not too horrible. But when I realized that I was avoiding sitting on it, lest I muss it up, I knew I had to return them.

I think the crux of the problem was that the “Twill Supreme” fabric had absolutely NO stretch to it whatsoever. This would be fine if this was a made-to-order slipcover. But when you’re trying to get something to conform to a particular piece of furniture, a lack of stretch is a recipe for disaster. Plus, I know I wanted white, but this was a blinding, paper bright, like-a-virgin white. As you can see in the photo above, it looked slightly out of place with the softer white in the rug and coffee table.

So, I’m still on the hunt! In the meantime, I’m working out the window covering situation in the room. You got to see a sneak peek at the roman shade I’m working on in this post, and now I’m trying to decide if I want to pull the DIY trigger and complete all four windows in the same style.

Plus, I know you’re wanting to see inside the enormous box that was delivered. Tomorrow I’ll have all the details!

xoxo,
CA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About C.A.

I'm the daughter of a Marine and a "Bond Girl" type of mom who bestowed upon me a wealth of wisdom. I want to bring that courage, purpose, intelligence, resourcefulness, glamour and joie-de-vivre into every aspect of my life.
This entry was posted in Décor and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Misadventures in Slipcovering

1. kelly cat says:

Funny! I just told M yesterday I might try my hand at a DIY slipcover for a couple old club chairs. His response… “slipcovers never look like they fit right!” oh well, still might try it ;) Can’t wait for the big box reveal…you know I zoomed in on the picture to try and get a sneak peek of the goods inside!
    xoxo

• C.A. says:

Haha! I’m still hoping that I can find some that look awesome. . . .I’ll keep you posted! As for the box – if all goes well, and the girls don’t wake up tomorrow morning at ODarkHundred, I’ll have the full on front-porch-in-progress reveal. :)

2. I love that the slipcover you bought was called “The Sure Fit Supreme”. I would’ve put my trust in a name like that, too, not to mention their perfect looking picture!

• C.A. says:

Yeah, seriously! The only way the chair would end up looking like that would be if you had the piece of furniture custom made for the slipcover. Either that, or black magic. LOL

3. Lauren says:

I bought a down blend slipcover sofa which I have in storage (the original cover is torn)….I have searched the internet for a “universal” cover but have recently decided to go custom instead. By “decided” I mean mentally made up my mind….I still need to contact a local upholstery lol…Really wish I knew how to sew…I have gone so far as to you tube DIY slipcovers, but wait~ I don’t sew~ other than buttons on lol therefore abandoned the idea. I can’t find the link (thinking it got deleted) but one blogger had made a template by removing the existing fabric on the chair. Also, there were several great DIY no sew slipcover using no-sew adhesive.

Can’t wait to see your porch reveal : )

• C.A. says:

I started doing some DIY slipcover research as well – I was particularly impressed with Jenna Sue’s no-sew method:
      But. . . .I just don’t know if I can dedicate the “many, many hours” into completing a project like that. . .right now at least. The only time of the day I have many hours all together is very late at night, and I love my sleep. :) For now, I may have to be content with being inspired by other people’s amazing projects. And I’m still not giving up hope that I can find a pre-made slipcover I like! Fingers crossed!
      xoxo

4. Lauren says:

You may have already checked out needle & shears website
    Their prices aren’t rock bottom but reasonable.
    xoxo