A Quick and Lovely Fix

Last we saw les miserables bistro chairs on the front porch, they looked like this:

<Shudder> I’m sorry you had to see that. Again. I had been loathing the sight of those cushions for about a year now, even though the set is in very good condition. And since we use this seating arrangement quite a bit – for morning tea, postmeridian aperitifs and the rare (and blissful) weekend lunch date when both girls are sleeping – I wanted to find cushions that didn’t make me say “meh” every time I gazed upon them. The problem was, I couldn’t find replacements anywhere I looked. Confession: I didn’t exactly scour the internets or anything, but in every store I looked in (Target, Lowes, Home Depot) I came up empty handed.

So my next thought was that I could try to make something myself, but as my close friends know – I am a total fraud when it comes to crafts involving fabric. Case in point: I have made three full sets of drapery panels and three roman shades (and counting), all without the use of a sewing machine. My weapons of choice (in this realm) are fabric glue, hemming tape and an iron. See? I’m a total sham artist. Sure these methods get the job done (for some things), but they’re not exactly going to materialize a throw pillow or double-piped cylindrical chair cushion.

Facts:

  1. I couldn’t find replacement cushions.
  2. I can’t sew. (for now)

It’s like a scene in a espionage action thriller when the Soviet agent is backed into a corner and out of ammo. She smokes one last one of these:

No pesky warning labels.

and just has to start improvising: using the butt end of her AK47 to break the lock on the escape hatch. Well, I don’t have Russian cigarettes and an Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947. (We all know I’m more of a M16 kind of a girl.) What I do have is scrap fabric and glue:

This is some of my beloved Robert Allen mineral blue ikat fabric that I got on ebay a while back. You can see it in curtain form here. The couple remnants I still had were too small for any serious projects, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I glued them on,

let them dry, and then because I might be a redneck wanted to be extra cautious, I broke out the duct tape. Actually, I didn’t know where the duct tape was, so I had to email Husband to ask him. I’m sure he loves getting “where is [fill in blank]” messages in the middle of his busy work day. Of course I didn’t explain what I wanted it for. I like to keep it mysterious.

After I made sure they were nice and secure, I took them outside for a generous spray of Scotch-Gard. And here’s how they look now:

Note: these chairs are on a covered porch, and when it rains I relocate them farther from the elements. Even so, this is probably not a permanent solution. At the very least, they’re eventually going to fade a bit in the afternoon sun. But they work for now! And since I already had all the materials, they cost me a grand total of $Free.99. Score! Do you like?

xoxo,
CA

P.S. It probably seems as if I’ve abandoned the little sunroom at the back of the house, but I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for a pretty rug and light fixture. Plus, I can’t add any plants back there until I’m sure the weather has finally decided to stay vernal. (We’ve had some extreme chilliness lately!)

Russian cigarette photo via

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About C.A.

I'm the daughter of a Marine and a "Bond Girl" type of mom who bestowed upon me a wealth of wisdom. I want to bring that courage, purpose, intelligence, resourcefulness, glamour and joie-de-vivre into every aspect of my life.
This entry was posted in Décor and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A Quick and Lovely Fix

  1. Pingback: A Special Delivery | How To Be A Heroine ™

  2. Pingback: Front Porch Action

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>